As autumn has settled upon us (at least in northern Colorado), I’ve been digging around for some go-to, easy and delicious recipes that are perfect for a “chili” day. I’ve made this chili recipe quite a few times, and it has been a great hit here on the Funny Farm. It’s also great re-heated throughout the week, so it’s definitely budget friendly! This recipe has just enough spiciness with a hearty dose of protein.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 lbs ground beef, turkey or venison
- 3/4 cup chopped and minced yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans of dark red kidney beans (you’ll need to rinse and drain these from the can)
- 2 cans of tomato sauce
- 1 can green chilies (these are normally about 4 oz)
- 2 cans Ro-tel (you can use the original, mild or hot depending on your desired spicy level)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard powder
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped bacon
- Shredded or grated cheddar cheese
- 1 bag Fritos (regular or scoops)
- Crockpot or slow cooker (6-7 quarts)
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, ground beef or turkey, and minced onions into a pan–I love cooking with cast iron skillets, especially when using a combination of flavors.
- Brown beef/turkey and soften the onions in the pan (normally takes around 7 mins)
- In a separate pan or skillet, fry up the bacon.
- Once both meats are done, drain the juices from each.
- Wait for the bacon to cool down, and chop slices into 1 inch sections. Throw the bacon into the pan with the beef and onions and mix well. Set aside.
- Using a small bowl, mix up the chili powder, cumin, mustard powder, basil, cayenne pepper, minced garlic, black pepper and salt.
- Add the tomato sauce, Ro-tel, green chilies and red kidney beans to the Crockpot. Then mix in the spices well.
- Add the meat and onion mixture and combine all ingredients well.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 hours, or LOW for 4 hours. You’ll need to stir every 30 minutes.
- Garnish with shredded cheese and add as many Fritos as your heart desires–ENJOY!
This chili is perfect for those chilly fall evenings where you want to curl up with a blanket and a bowl next to the fireplace.
Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!