It is no secret that including salmon in your diet is great for your health! A great source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, salmon is on my dinner table often. My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Alaska, where we both fell in love with salmon (and nothing really compares to salmon in Alaska…but this recipe comes close.)
You will need a smoker for this recipe…they are more affordable than you may think.
We bought our first smoker a couple years ago from Home Depot and use it at least twice a month–it has been well worth it. It’s an Masterbuilt electric smoker with a remote control you can use to change the temperature, which is handy on those cold, winter days.
What you’ll need:
- Salmon filet, thawed (2-3 lbs)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp onion power
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Total time in smoker: 2.5-3 hours
- Set the temperature on the smoker to 170 degrees F.
- Take the salmon filet and set it on a platter or baking sheet. You won’t use this in the smoker, but it’s easier to apply the seasoning.
- Combine the garlic salt and onion powder, and rub the mixture onto the top of the filet, skin-side down. You don’t need to apply anything to the skin.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the garlic and onion mixture. Be sure to coat the ends and the sides.
- After the salmon is coated, you’ll drizzle honey over the filet (give or take about 2 Tbsp).
- Time for the smoker. Set the filet on the rack, making sure it fits.
- Close the smoker door, and add a handful of hickory smoke wood chips to the chip loading system on the side of the smoker.
- Set the timer for 1 and 1/2 hours. Once you’ve reached that time frame, increase the temperature to 225 degrees F.
- Set another time for 30 minutes. Once you’ve reached that, increase the temp to 250 degrees F for a final 30 minutes.
- The salmon will be smoking for 2.5-3 hours total. The internal temperature of the fish should reach 145 degrees F before eating.
- Enjoy! A salad or steamed asparagus pair well with this dish!
Did you try it? Leave a comment!